Regional Program Alsace
Number of Awards: Two to four
Specialization(s): The Alsace region welcomes candidates in all fields, but preferably in the following areas where Alsace international research teams are particularly strong: biotechnology, biomaterials, nanoscience, photonics, medical imaging, computer-assisted surgery and medical robots.
Language: French language ability commensurate with the requirements of the project.
Location: One of the participating Alsace universities and/or research centers. Here are several examples:
- Université de Strasbourg www.unistra.fr
- Institut de Science et d'Ingénierie Supramoléculaire (ISIS) http://www-isis.u-strasbg.fr/
- Institut de Génétique et de Biologie Moléculaire et Cellulaire www.igbmc.fr
- Institut de Recherche contre les cancers de l'appareil digestif www.ircad.fr
- Laboratoire des Sciences de l'image de l'informatique et de la télédétection (LSIIT) http://lsiit.u-strasbg.fr
- Institut de Physique et Chimie des Matériaux de Strasbourg www.unistra.fr/index.php?id=1815
- Centre international de Recherche aux Frontières de la Chimie http://www.icfrc.fr/en/
- Institut de Recherche Mathématique Avancée http://www-irma.u-strasbg.fr/
- Maison Inter-Universitaire des Sciences de l'Homme (MISHA) www.misha.fr
- Cercle Gutenberg http://www-physique.u-strasbg.fr/~jfroehly/index.php/accueil
Grantees are expected to reside in the region of the award.
Length of Grant: 3 months to 12 months
Stipend: €2,800/ month. Additional €1,200 travel allowance.
Starting Date: Between September 2015 and June 2016
Comments: The Alsace region of France is located along the Rhine river in the heart of Europe, at the border between France, Germany and Switzerland. The main cities, Strasbourg and Mulhouse, are home to two universities and ten engineering schools. Louis Pasteur University in Strasbourg is one of three outstanding French universities (National Excellence Initiative) with almost 42,500 students and 75 research laboratories where approximately 2,600 students are currently preparing Ph.Ds. The university hospitals, research institutions and laboratories in Alsace are at the forefront of the development and use of new technologies in the medical field.
For more information on research in Strasbourg, please see the website for the Pôle universitaire européen de Strasbourg. If you have not already established ties with a host institution in the region and are planning to solicit the required letter of invitation, click here for an electronic letter in PDF format from the Franco-American Commission explaining to potential hosts what the program is, how it is funded, and what the requirements for hosting would be.
Deadline: August 1, 2014
Charlotte Goodwin, Program Officer - US Grantees, Franco-American Commission for Educational Exchange, (0033) 1 44 14 53 64, email@example.com
Apply through CIES: www.cies.org